Major Medical Breakthrough
A unique educational performance that addresses the health care sector’s role in detecting domestic violence. Designed for health medical students and practicing health professionals.
Intimate partner violence (IPV) and sexual assault affect nearly 32 million Americans annually, and the health consequences of trauma over a lifespan are chronic and devastating. The health care sector constitutes the largest and single most underutilized means of prevention and intervention of interpersonal violence. Yet fewer than 10 percent of primary care physicians routinely screen patients during regular office visits.
Asking is vital.
Major Medical Breakthrough is a compelling call to action for the health care sector to examine its role in detecting and preventing violence in patients’ lives. Two professional actors, working with multimedia and the latest research, use the power of performance to make a difficult topic accessible, respectful, and entertaining. A post-performance panel discussion with local domestic violence and sexual assault agency representatives enables further discussion and an opportunity to explore policy, protocol, and applications.
For use in:
- Continuing professional education for practicing physicians, nurses, or other health care practitioners
- Supplementing curriculum for first- and second-year preclinical medical students, social workers, and allied health professionals
- Conferences and community events
- Knowledge of the definition, variations, and impact of IPV;
- Willingness to seek additional training in IPV policy, protocol, and applications;
- Motivation to adhere to workplace policies regarding screening for IPV;
- Increased comfort level with intent to discuss IPV with patients.
Booking Major Medical Breakthrough includes:
- 35-minute Lecture Performance
- Lecture Handout and Resources List
- Panel Discussion Guide
- Evaluation/Outcome Results
- Event Poster
NOTE: Continuing Education Units (CEU) are available through The University of New England (an additional administrative fee for CEUs is required).