You the Man
A play about dating violence that addresses bystander intervention and prevention.
Teen and college dating abuse is potentially fatal—and shockingly common. It leads to substance abuse, unhealthy eating behaviors, sexual risk behaviors, pregnancy, and suicide. And the media continue to send dangerously mixed messages about its consequences. Addressing unhealthy relationships and dating violence prevention and intervention is needed now more than ever.
We are all bystanders who can help save lives and create stronger communities.
Is it time to begin the conversation in your school?
You the Man is an engaging, entertaining, and results-based educational program that uses live theatre to empower students—both male and female—to step out of the bystander role and practice safe peer intervention. This comprehensive dating violence prevention program is unique as it promotes a model of empathetic male voices and shows the incredible power of bystander support and action.
- Perfect for orientations, assemblies, awareness events, health education programming, and conferences.
- Suitable for grades 9-12, college students, educators, and families.
- 35-minute, one-actor portrayal of several characters (none of whom are victims or perpetrators). Each wrestles with their response to unhealthy relationship issues.
- Teaches audience members the warning signs of unhealthy relationships; how to identify ways to safely intervene; and make accessible their local health/counseling resources.
- Post-performance panel discussion with local counselors, advocates, and experts.
As a result of seeing You the Man, nearly 90% of students could recognize warning signs of dating abuse/unhealthy behaviors and knew where to go for help.
BOOKING You the Man includes:
- 30-minute play performed by a professional actor
- Panel Discussion Guide
- Classroom Curriculum (High School)
- Student Evaluation / Outcome Results
- Event poster & program